Merry Christmas Everyone!
Christmas will be here sooner than you know it. If you're shopping for presents my condolences. It's hard enough with this slumping economy just to make ends meet, but well worth the smile of children everywhere to have something under the tree. This year I will not have a tree. I gave all Christmas decorations away prior to my ill conceived plans to move to California. (Still deciding what I'm doing next. If I had been more strategic in my move I could have saved a lot of money and hassles.. Ah well, we live and learn, and move on.)
My children are now all adults, so this year I will be giving to Toy's for Tots. I am sure we can all find a few more dollars for just one more present to give to a charity of your choice.
One of the things I took away with me from my time in California, and will stick with me forever, was the amount of homeless people everywhere. Back home here in Massachusetts where I live, outside of Boston, we do not see many homeless people. I am sure though in every big city you come across a few, if not groups. I have always been aware of the homeless but seldom came across them. There was a period in my life though, due to some tragic unfortunate events, I once found myself homeless. I managed to survive it by living in a campground. It was early spring with snow on the ground. I started out in two tents, one for my belongings, the other to sleep in. I must say it was quite the adventure. I was still working up until the time I was canned, and still had enough money saved at the time to graduate to a small camper, I bought off a seasonal camper that no longer enjoyed camping.
The reason I bring this up at all is for the many people who are struggling today. It was bad enough to find themselves homeless due to the horrific weather we have been experiencing, and my heart goes out to those who have lost homes from the tornadoes and floods here on the East Coast and elsewhere. If the weather was not a contributing factor, then those who were victimized by the failing economy and our governments lack of response. I don't need to go into the politics, I am sure we all know someone who has been affected by this. Lets hope that as this year closes, and with a new election coming up, The Gold Diggers of Washington can start working for the people as government was meant to do.
So in closing, if you never have seen the homeless, believe me, they are out there and growing larger every day. Not all choose to be homeless, and the growing number of them are children. So please, I know it may be hard, but next time you're out shopping for those Special Christmas Gifts, wont you find just a few more dollars for that child who thinks that Santa won't find him, because he has had to move....
If this tugs at your heart, that was my intention.
Merry Christmas Every One
Jackie <3
No comments:
Post a Comment