March 2, 2012

Homework week 4/ Dialogue

                                                      "MERCY"


- Cathleen, please see Sister Mary Francis in her office,  she would like to speak with you.

-  I'm here to see sister Mary Francis.

- Hi Cathleen, I wanted to ask you if you would like to graduate with the senior class this year?

- Gee Sister, do I have enough credits?

- Do you know why I called you here to see me?

- To graduate with the senior's Sister?

- No!  Now I know your father is very ill, and I did not want to have to call him at home.
So I thought I would tell you, your absence yesterday did not go unnoticed.

- But..but..Sister

- No buts Cathleen. Did you really think skipping assembly yesterday I would not find out?

- I won't ask you where you went, I already know. I spoke with Denise's parents. But you won't be doing this again, I could give you enough demerits that would cause your expulsion. However...

- Yes Sister. 

- I have decided instead, that you will work the rest of the school year at Mercy Center. Do you know how to get there?

-  No Sister, I don't. 

- Behind the school there is a path that leads through the woods. Every day you will skip your lunch period and go help out the Sister's up there.

- Yes Sister. 

- You are to be there for one hour, then come back to the school. If you miss a day, or decide not to go, I will call home. Is that clear? 

- Yes Sister.

- U'mm Sister? 

- Yes, Cathleen?

- What is Mercy Center?

- You start tomorrow Cathleen. Be on time.


This is another non fiction...I just cannot help myself, Flash is all about fiction,  though no one knows, unless I tell you of course. (I did cheat,) It was actually Sister Mary Patrick, the schools headmaster. She was actually very loving and could be quite stern. The moral here is I was shown mercy.  Not only did I not have to have my parents told about my skipping school that day, of which I surely would have gotten the belt, but she also gave my father and mother one less reason to worry about. For that I was most grateful. Mercy Mercy.. 
Now, for those wondering; what was Mercy Center? Mercy Center was a small school of severely and some not so severely handicap children, ranging in various ages. I actually enjoyed my time there very much. I became quite fond of an Autistic boy with Downs Syndrome, who never once complained or cried. He always greeted me with the biggest smile everyday and often begged me not to leave.  I just want to say it was actually not so bad skipping school, I learned an awful lot for doing it. This was a time when the punishment was the greatest reward ever. My thanks to Sister Mary Patrick. xox  

2 comments:

  1. It's a wonderfully evocative dialogue, Jackie. I find that sometimes, if a work is based on actual happenings, it has more resonance, it 'feels' right. This one does. Thank you for sharing it :) x

    ReplyDelete