The sun set for the third time that morning over London, and the Royal Astronomer knew he could no longer keep things a secret. (DL)
Leaving his position as Royal Astronomer to the Queen was going to be difficult. He enjoyed all the benefits and prestige he ever thought was possible. It was not just the story he gave to the press about alien life being detected with the newer powerful telescopes that caused everyone concern, although that did create suspicions within the monarchy as to his mental state, but something even more prevailing.
For the sake of his own family he kept the news hushed. Yet recent news accounts from American astrologists concerning solar flares from the sun were making things most difficult. He had hoped to break it down to his family gently, lead them into it slowly, so that by the time May came around they would have gradually accepted their fate. Now he wasn’t so sure they would understand.
Going home to tell the family was like telling them the moon had just fallen from the sky.
Telling the Queen, was almost like treason. She would have most likely broken it to the news by now that they would be appointing a new Astronomer for The Royal Astronomers position, saying that I had served my time. Of course the press would want to know if I was going to continue in the field. I would need to give a press release and tell them that due to many years of research, my vision had become poor. That should at least account for any future absences of any written documentation concerning the solar system and I would simply cease to exist in the eyes of the press.
I found her in the kitchen baking tarts for the Women’s Earth Day Meetings she attended. I was happy she liked baking. She could have had the kitchen staff help her, but she said; ”No Mr. Astronomer, I am a modern day woman, I prefer to do my own baking.” Thank the stars for that I thought, she was going to have to do a lot of things differently from now on.
“ Why Martin, what are you doing home this morning?”
I’ve something to tell you Dear, please do sit down.
I am no longer working for the Royal Astronomer.
“ It wasn’t because of the press was it? I knew when I read the report about being able to view aliens, it was going to be a cause for concern. Oh Martin!”
No Dear, it was not that, though you should have seen the look on their faces..
Now I have been putting money aside for you, knowing that eventually this was going to happen. I hoped to break the news gently, but your going to have to cut back on the staff and do things differently and without me.
“Without you! Martin, have you surely lost all your marbles?”
My Dear, you know this is not easy for me to explain. You have been watching the news, you have heard the reports of the solar flares taking place on the sun?
“Yes Martin, but what does that have to do with your leaving me?”
Have you also been paying attention Dear, to the date? In May, Venus will eclipse the sun. It is considered to be a phenomenon. It will be seen by the world, although it will only appear as a black dot. The transit is measured in hours, and is among the rarest form of eclipse.They occur in patterns that repeat only every 243 years, with pairs of transits eight years apart, separated by long gaps…
“ Martin, what does that have to do with you leaving me?”
Well Dear, If I do not leave now, I cannot help Venus from the solar flares. I must reach Venus before she reaches the sun.
“ You’ve gone and lost all your faculties Martin!” You cannot fly to Venus!”
Do you remember laughing because people thought I was different ? Well I have a secret Dear...
Copyright : Jackie Summers
I wish to thank Damon Lord, for the opening hook to this Flash fiction Story.
I also wish to thank him, for in doing my research I gained a bit of knowledge about eclipses.
No comments:
Post a Comment