Some say it was Destiny that took the Reaper's soul that fateful evening, under the glow of a silver moon. It was twenty five years ago today, the anniversary of this small hamlet, and a new beginning for Destiny.
Twenty five guests were invited to the festivities, one guest for each year. Invitations prepared in advance, each invitation carefully chiseled, the name of each guest with the date clearly visible. They were to meet behind the church, it was all set in stone. All twenty five would be there.
Destiny was great at throwing parties, but this was to be her best yet. The excitement was growing, the air was crisp with the smells of autumn, splashes of yellow, copper, and brown littered the streets, and swirls of color danced in spiral columns around the stones, behind the church vestry.
I should not have been there. I was an uninvited guest. But I came to see for myself. I had heard of Destiny and her parties, and this being her 25th anniversary, I didn't want to miss it.
At first I thought I had the date wrong, where were they? Then slowly, under the evening light, behind the stones they came. Casting their shadows under the silver moon, like vapors dancing in the dark, playing hide n seek amongst the stones.
Then I heard them- or was it the wind?
They were singing;
Destiny, Destiny,
gather round your kin,
delight in the harvest,
and sing to her men.
Thank the horn plenty,
partake of the fruit,
behind the church vestry
under the moon.
And then they saw me!
I ran- the wind in my hair, leaves swirling in the air.
Their voices singing;
Outsider, Outsider,
winter draws near,
but hell and the graveyard, is all you'll need here.
Run Reaper run,
and reap what you sow,
Destiny will follow, or didn't you know?
And then I saw it!
The words clearly written ; Destiny : population none.
Copyright 7-30-11
I loved reading this poem for you at 42, Jackie. 'Tis my favourite, I think, though the others are interesting and engaging too ...
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Polly, it pleases me that it was inspiring to you to want to read me. Someday when I make it to a venue, I would like to repay the honor to you, My friend and fellow poet. xx
Delete